Say hello to Fred! My companion, my best friend, and the best photo model for my business. :)
We adopted Fred when he was 2 years old. He is now 6 years old. We love him more than anything and don't know what we would do without him!
Adopting a dog is the most rewarding thing you will ever do in your life. They will love you unconditionally and be your best friend for life. Also, I think dogs that are adopted have this sixth sense that you saved them, and they will forever be grateful.
Here are 6 reasons why you should adopt a dog today!:
1. When you buy a dog from a store, you are supporting cruel puppy mills. These puppy mills only care about profit and breeding as many dogs as possible. The care of the dogs is the least of their concerns. These places are unsanitary, overcrowded, inadequate vet care, and they don't allow the females to properly heal between conceiving puppies.
2. Approximately 6-8 million (ASPCA) dogs are waiting for homes. Because there are more dogs than people willing to adopt, many of these dogs will be euthanized. Especially, the older dogs. This is why you should support no kill shelters. They will not euthanize any of their animals regardless of age or condition.
3. One of the top reasons, it will cost you less! Many times buying a puppy from a store can cost you in the $1000s. However, adopting a dog can usually cost under $50 and sometimes even free!
4. By adopting a dog, you are making room for more. Animal shelters around the world bring in hundreds of dogs a year and often, they can't take in anymore. By adopting a pet, you give a fighting chance for other precious dogs!
5. Usually, a dog from a shelter will already be housetrained. Thus, you won't have to worry about that white furniture or linens. However, Fred was housetrained when we adopted him, and we still experienced a few "accidents". Luckily it was only on the hardwood floor! So be forewarned that they might make an "accident" in your new home. Probably due to being nervous by their new surroundings.
6. They will love you for life! They will be your companion, best friend, cuddle buddy, exercise buddy, and even a guard dog. They will forever be grateful that you saved their life. You chose them out of all the other dogs, and they will never forget that. They will always remember the moment that you brought them home.
I highly suggest that when you want a dog, that you adopt and not shop.
If you can't adopt a dog because of allergies or because of your home situation will not allow it, I suggest that you look into donating to local charities or organizations like ASPCA and Best Friends Animal Society.
Other ways that you can help:
- Volunteering your time at a local animal shelter.
- Participating in events that promote animal rights.
- Participate in fund raising events that help raise funds for animal rights and conservation.
- Share to friends and family on social media about adopting a dog.
The more you can do, the more it will help!
Have you ever adopted a dog? If so, share all about him/her below! I love hearing stories and if you do share, I might feature it on a Facebook Live this week! Make sure to like my page at www.facebook.com/heidilphotography
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a fabulous week!